IDRA Introduces the new OL 5500 CS, the world’s largest Die-Cast Machine, the latest milestone in the large DCM tradition for the Brescia-based company. The Machine, which is the largest R&D program in the recent history of the company, is aimed at delivering IDRA’s first-in-class quality to the fast developing structural castings manufacturers, built on its proven and acclaimed technology.
Stemming from the successful IDRA OL CS family of machines, the IDRA OL 5500 CS machine further enhances IDRA’s reputation for innovation and development.
The compact mechanical structure and robust dimensions have been designed using the same criteria and characteristics that have made the previous OL 3200 CS, OL 3700 CS and OL 4200 CS the workhorses of so many structural components manufacturers, providing guaranteed long life and reliability for the foundry industry.
Development emphasis was placed on the overall length of the machine, ensuring that the machine can be fitted in the tightest spaces.
The OL CS series’ main benefits have all been carried forward to the family’s latest addition.
• Integrated high flow hydraulic manifold blocks and increased pump capacity ensure that the fast cycle times required can be achieved,
• Its energy efficient motors with speed control make sure that energy cost are kept to a minimum
• Its all-in-one hydraulic manifolds and the limited use of external pipe-work allow for easier access for maintenance and minimize the risk of fluid loss.
• The award winning Inject Computer 3.0 offers the best in class machine management software, incorporating a multi touch screen and 3D diagnostics with single point setting for integrated peripheral automation.
• Mechanical groups of the machine designed for easy access for maintenance.
• Closed loop multi point control of the injection velocity and pressure, programming and control of process parameters, giving the die caster all of the necessary tools required for the most demanding parts.
The new OL 5500 CS combines excellent injection performance, offering high dynamic force with strong intensification for final pressure and complete setting flexibility, providing precise, stable production parameters.
The machine unveiled today brings to fruition hundreds of hours of development work, at Idra and with the tens of strategic suppliers located, by the vast majority, within a short drive of Idra’s facilities in Travagliato, Brescia, Italy. Foundries, machinists, specialists of all trades all combined in stretching their capabilities to the manufacture of the largest components of this type ever produced.
Decades of experience combined in producing the largest, strongest and most powerful Die Casting Machine ever. Its largest ever platen size (over 3.3m by 3.3m), its strongest ever tie bars (450mm in diameter), its massive, yet fast injection with its TVHD ICS (Twin Valve High Dynamic Closed Loop Control) a twin valve system that gives excellent control for both slow and fast shot injection speeds, with performance once reserved to smaller machines, make it capable to produce castings well beyond 80 Kgs in weight over an unbeaten maximum allowed projected area.
These characteristics make the IDRA OL 5500 CS Die Cast Machine the perfect solution for manufacture of high-integrity Aluminium and Magnesium Die Cast components for the automotive sector, with focus on structural and safety critical components.
An engineering feat
Based on the current OL 4200 CS and OL 5500 CS offerings, IDRA expects its architecture to be easily scalable, through its modular design, and allow the introduction of an intermediate offering at 4800t should customers require it, as well as open the way to even larger challenges in the near future.
The modular design concept allows IDRA to contain manufacturing costs and minimize development risks while at the same time enabling IDRA to extensively customize the machine to the customer specific needs, an ability which has become one of Idra’s strengths in the marketplace. Mechanical components have been designed to standardise the modular assembly concept and reduce the number of spare parts while increasing reliability.
IDRA’s 3D design and simulation process has minimised the lead time to manufacture and given the assurance of engineering standards and quality. Rolled thread tie bars reduced to almost zero the risk for tie-bar failure. Platens are available in forged steel or cast iron with the availability of a NiCr coating answering the requests and needs of our customers.
The new OL 5500 CS builds on the achievements of the OL CS series of machines.
Simple – Standard – reliable
The machine has been designed with these key factors in mind, always. The hydraulic design based around Parker valves with high flow manifold blocks supported by the addition of accumulators for rapid closing, cores on the moving platen and a compact pump group that has allowed us to achieve dry cycle times of 30 seconds for 4,000 ton models.
Its key characteristics can be summarized as:
• Largest Die Cast Machine in the world
• Simple Design
• Easy Operator Control
• Easy Maintenance
• Standardized and Commercially Available Components
• Modular Design
• Low Industrial Costs
• Injection velocity exceeding requirements of 10 m/sec
• Acceleration: 22 m/s2 from 0,4 to 10 m/sec injection velocity
• Low line pressure: 160 Bars
• Closed loop control for up to 10 velocities
• Closed loop control of intensification